Monday 23 April 2012

Small Steps...

Things progress slowly... Another pretty fruitless weekend all in all, but here are the highlights.

The closing down sale at the shop is going pretty well, though I suspect all the decent stock has now been pillaged and what we have left will probably still be there when we close in a couple of weeks time. Looks like I'll be car booting for most of the spring and summer... Oh well, there are worse ways to spend your weekends I guess.

I have good reason to believe my landlord will be back in the country today and has an appointment tomorrow with his solicitor. Hopefully by the end of the week I might have a better idea of his line of attack. I've decided to speak with CAB today to ask if they can somehow support me with any of the letters I receive from the landlords solicitor, as I don't want to be writing back and inadvertently dropping myself further in the mire to due my lack of knowledge on contractual issues. My 'shoulder to lean on' David has kindly offered some help in this matter and I intend to take him up on his offer very shortly.

Had my first letter from one of my debtors on Saturday. It was from Virgin Mobile Collections who wanted me to contact them to pay this months invoice as the direct debit had been cancelled. I chose to write back to them rather than call them and ask them if they would consider reducing my monthly tariff from £20 to £10 as this was all I could realistically afford in the short term. I wasn't asking for the same package, just a way of keeping my current number live whilst honouring the remainder of my contract. I also suggested that if they could come up with a sensible full and final settlement figure I would see if I could raise the funds to pay it. Posted recorded delivery Saturday morning, so let's see what transpires.

As a contingency plan to Virgin not playing ball and because they've barred my number, I discovered what appears to be a fantastic PAYG deal. The company are called Giffgaff. They use the 02 network and I'm led to believe are in fact a subsidiary of 02, but that needs confirming. They offer a £10 a month deal that includes 250 minutes to all the usual suspects, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Free texts and calls to other GiffGaff users. Freephone numbers are FREE. No contract, simply top up after a month if you want to continue. If you don't want the package you can simply top up and use you credit as a normal PAYG. Their basic PAYG rates are by far the cheapest available in the UK. So is there a downside? Of course there is. Where they struggle is customer service. Basically the support is provided in the first instance by other users. They do not have contact telephone numbers and all help requests have to go through the internet. If you read the forums you could easily be put off trying them, but you pays your money you takes your chances as they say. I've been with them for about a week and so far no issues. You can also earn a few quid in a variety of ways by being active in the community. For anyone out there looking for a great PAYG deal rather than getting tied up in a contract, Giffgaff are certainly worth a look. If you decide to use them, let me know and if I refer you, you get £5 free credit when you activate your sim. Here's a link:


I would like to make it clear that I will NOT endorse anything in this Blog that I do not have personal experience of and I will always give an honest and fair review.

My project for today is to source cheaper Gas, Electricity and Home insurance and put my van up for sale. I may for the first time in 31 years be forced to use public transport if the van sells. That should be a laugh. The last bus I remember using was a journey from my home to our local shopping centre and if memory serves me right it cost 2p. I suspect it may be different now.

Well that'll do for now... If your boredom threshold is anything like mine, you probably stopped reading ten minutes ago anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment